Unit 6- Evolution
1) transposons (watch this video and make notes). Other good videos:
3) Watch: How genes evolve- gene duplication
4) Link for: HHMI- Phylogenetic Trees and DNA Sequences . Here's the WS
5) Pre-labs for BLAST Lab : listed under "LABS" (scroll down)
CHAPTERS 22-26: These assignments will not necessarily be done in the order listed.
1- Link for: HHMI- Phylogenetic Trees and DNA Sequences . Here's the WS
2- Hardy Weinberg Prob (Warm- up: Start with doing #1-5. After we go over those, complete entire set)
3- LabBench #8: Population Genetics: Open on Pearson site. Here is the worksheet you must complete.
4- We will either do:
B- Investigation: Regulatory Sequences of PITX1 Gene in Stickleback Video and Worksheet. *2019-Did this investigation in Unit 5
6- BioFlix: Mechanisms of Evolution WS: . Here is the link for the website: http://media.pearsoncmg.com/bc/bc_0media_bio/bioflix/bioflix.htm?8apevolution
7- Phylogenetic Trees- POGIL
8- Phylogenies and Tree- thinking PPt
9- Selection and Speciation- POGIL (didn't do Fall 2017)
10- Reading Phylogenetic Trees- REQUIRED youtube videos and questions
11- Phylogenetic Trees Worksheet
12. Phylogenetic Trees Practice (watch the video afterward): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ0HrVemqPA.
14- More H-Wbg Practice Problems - optional, but highly recommended. I'll provide a key to check your work, if you did them
15- More Phylogenetic Tree & Cladogram construction practice needed? Try this site
16- Great Transitions Video and Quiz
17- HHMI- Great Transitions Interactive Site and Worksheet
18- Cladistics and Bioinformatics WS
Virtual Labs: We will do at least one of these two virtual labs, along with the "Hands-on" lab, below. Together, they will count as one lab grade.
Computer Labs: We will do at least one of these, depending on time
1) AP Investigation #3: BLAST Lab
2019 BLAST Lab:
2018 BLAST Lab:
2) AP Investigation #2: Population Genetics and Modeling: We will do one of two adapted versions, given below. Regardless of which one, watch this video on youtube before lab begins. The program for both versions can be found on the student drive (I think it may be called the K drive?) on the desktops in my room. Go to 'My Computer' and search for the folder with your student # (there also may be a list of teachers to pick from). Find the folder: AlleleA1. *If you're working on this from home, you can download AlleleA1 from the Evolutionary Analysis website: faculty.washington.edu/herronjc/SoftwareFolder/AlleleA1.html . Versions are provided that run under MacOS and Windows. If needed, here is the AlleleA1 manual. Before you begin the lab, I recommend you watch the Bozeman video on 'Population Modeling'. Although he's using a different program, the concepts and results still apply.
ADAPTED VERSIONS OF THIS LAB:
2018: TO DESIGN A MODEL FOR THIS LAB, OPEN THIS DOC TO SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.
1- AP Bio Evolution Study Guide Ch 21-26
2- Be sure and do the Progress Check from AP Classroom.
3- Use the Study Area in masteringbiology!
Power Points and Prezis
Ch 21- *I made a few revisions since printing
Ch 22- Pt 1
Ch 22- Pt 2
Concepts of Evolution- reference PPt (Magnet Bio)
General PPt for Evolution Review (I recommend you use this for AP Bio Exam)
Videos, Lectures & Other Resources
Reference Materials for this Unit:
1- "Concepts of Evolution" PPt (from Magnet Biology) is in the Power Point section of this blog (scroll up)
2- Hardy Weinberg Worked Sample Problems
3- 'Hardy Weinberg' PPt (with examples): In Power Point section of this blog (scroll up)
4- Go to youtube.com and search for 'Science with Mr.J'. He has video lectures for almost every chapter in AP Bio, using our book. Since our time is becoming very limited, my 'lectures' over the remaining chapters will also be brief. He does a very good job with covering the material. If you find another lecture series that's good, please let me know!
5- Need help with phylogenetic trees? Here are some very good youtube videos for understanding cladograms (including monophyletic, paraphyletic, polyphyletic, parsimony, etc): This one from Kahn Academy shows you how to 'build a tree' and there's another one that gives a very clear example of parsimony.
1- Bozeman- AP Bio 'Natural Selection'. Complete this sheet.
2- Bozeman- Comparing DNA Sequences. (How to Use BLAST data base)
3- Bozeman- Phylogenetic Trees (alternate: this one from Kahn Academy )
4- Phylogenetic Trees- watch first. Then, Phylo. Trees Practice. *The guy ('SimpleBiology') who made these made an entire series of Evolution videos recently (fall 2017) and they are REALLY GOOD.
5- Parsimony (and here's another one that gives a very clear example of parsimony).
6- Hardy Weinberg- see SimpleBiology series on youtube, above, (#4) or watch Bozeman Hardy-Weinberg on youtube.
7- BLAST tutorial: This one is the most clear cut for what we are doing, but the example shown uses a protein sequence of amino acids, instead of a nucleotide sequence. This one is good, but you may want to fast forward to around the 7:25 minute mark and start it there.
8- 'Science with Mr.J' video series for AP Bio on youtube.com. More info on this is posted under "Reference Materials", directly above.
9- We'll either do: Stickleback Video with Quiz or
Bozeman AP Bio Stickleback video and worksheet.
Reading Guides from the 8th Edition:
Has anyone heard of the video game 'Phylo'? Here's the info. Hope we have time to try it!
The pGLO Transformation Lab will be done right after this unit. There will also be a Case Study. Expect several test questions on this lab in the next Unit Test.
Lab Student Guide- (this goes 3rd...aka last...in your Lab Report)