FORENSICS ('blue book') PPts (last 4-5 weeks of semester):
Ch 1- Intro
Ch 2- Types of Evidence
Ch 3A- The Crime Scene
Ch 4- Fingerprints
Ch 5- Hair
Ch 6- Fibers (new)
Ch 6- Fiber (fill in blank)
Ch 10- Blood
Ch 11A- DNA Analysis
Ch 15- Documents and Handwriting
If time allows:
Ch 7 and 8- Drugs and Toxicology
Ch 12- Human Remains
* Power Points for each unit are posted above
Unit #1: Safety, Equipment, Chemistry Review (Ch 2 and 3)
1-Lab Equipment #1
2-Lab Equipment #2
3-Safety Questions (we may use another video...this one is a bit 'corny'). Possibly watch 'Crash Course': www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWRmIEHr3A
4. Variables & Hypothesis
5. Graphing Review Activity- Mag Biochem
6. Graphing Practice- Hard Copy only. Pick up graphing paper in class
7. Reference Sheets: A) How to Graph in Science;
B) Guide to graphing
8. Case Study- Fish Fights. Here's the rubric-NO
9. Case Study- 'How do brain chemicals influence who wins a fight?'. Before completing the activity watch this video and answer these questions.
10- Ephedra Analysis- If we do this, there will be a Hard copy only
11- Ch 2 HW Day 1
13- Ch 2 Day 2 HW
14- Ch 3 HW -Days 1-3
15- Ch 3 HW- Day 4
17- A) Lewis Dots WS #1 (*for help with the 'elementary basics', go to this Bozeman site. For help with slightly more complex structures, go to either this site or this site. Use this site for help with formal charges). I also gave you this handout.
18-B) Lewis Structures #2 (hard copy only)
19-Naming Compounds Rules (flow chart)
20-Naming Compounds (Examples with Key)
21-Naming Compounds WS
22-Handout explaining Formal Charge, Molecular Geometry and Polarity (with examples). Watch these videos: A) Calculating FC; B) Calculating FC on polyatomic ions (using shortcut method)- *Don't have to know the part at the end on carbocations until the next test, so stop video at around 4:30.
23-Lewis Dot Structures practice
24-Lewis-VSEPR-Polariry WS (includes resonance)
25-Molecular Models Lab
26- http://mathbench.umd.edu/homepage/measurement.htm. Do: Basic Lab Techniques; Logs and pH; Calculating Molar Weight (if needed)
27- Buffers and Antacid Lab
28- How to make (fairly simple) Lewis diagrams- Mrs. Phillips Technique
29. Interactive: Lewis Structures web Link: https://www.stolaf.edu//depts/chemistry/courses/toolkits/123/js/lewis/
30. PhET Interactive and Model Building- Molecular Geometry
Review Handout explaining Lewis dots, Polarity and Molecular Geometry (with examples)
Good videos for Lewis Structures:
1. Intro to Organic Video Series
2. Building Strong Organic Chemistry Foundation
* see the right hand column for additional links to other tutorials
**Please remember to bring regular strength, WHITE antacid tablets for your lab group (white in color....may say 'peppermint' flavor). Active ingredient: CaCO3 (calcium carbonate) =500 mg
Unit #2- Organic Chem: Alkanes
*Check out this great reference site for this unit!
1. Ch 10 HW
2. Functional Group ID WS
3. Naming Rules & Functional Groups
4. Family & Func Groups WS
5. Isomers Models Lab- Parts 1-4. (2020)
6. Naming Alkanes WS 1 & 2
7. Hydrocarbon Nomenclature: DO THIS ONE FIRST
9. Alkanes 3
10. Chemical Bonding in Alkanes
11. Ch 11 HW Days 1 and 2
12. Alkanes 5
13. Functional Groups
14. Link for Combustion of Fossil Fuels interactive webquest. (*Here's is an alternate webquest to use in case ihe 1st site is down Biofuels WebQuest )
15. Isomer worksheet 6-1 (only do through #10 for this unit. Will continue in next unit)
16. Alkanes WS - Review
17. Older Isomers Lab:
Really Good Websites (tutorials & practice problems):
1. RULES FOR CYCLOALKANES
2. Check out sciencegeek.net and leah4sci.com
3. Good Website with examples and answers
4. 'Chemguy' has tutorial videos for every organic chem unit. He gets great reviews from students (*FYI- he also has them for AP Chem)
5. This site is great for Test Review!
Make sure you know: properties, functional groups/families, chiral carbons and enantiomers, primary, 2ndary, tert, quaternary carbons, etc. for the test. Don't forget all the butyls!
Do all assigned book questions for Ch 10 and 11!
*Info for HerbFest 2017 in right column. I will update it soon for 2019. Due date- TBD (depends on when State STEAM Committee is coming.
UNIT #3- UNSATURATED HYDROCARBONS: Alkenes, Alkynes & Aromatics
1-Interactive Nomenclature- Good website
2-Nomenclature Worksheet (Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes)
3-Intro to Reactions: Watch these videos
4-HW- Day #5 is extremely important to complete!
5-Hydrocarbon Models (Alkenes and Alkynes) Lab
6. A) Fat Facts Case Study (answer on the paper that was provided with the hard copy); B) Fats article and questions. *THERE WILL BE SEVERAL QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS INFO ON THE TEST
7. A) Go to this site and answer the WS (fats); B) Also, go to this site & answer in notebook.
9-Naming Alkenes WS- hard copy (*note: I will give you a key when completed)
9b. Organic Nomenclature- part 2 (WS 12.6)
11- Alkenes and Alkynes Questions (over 1st half of PPt; you'll also need your book)
13. Reactions Worksheet #2
14-Review sheets: Pages 1 & 2-NEW 2019
15-Review sheets: pages 3- 6-NEW 2019
16-Great review site
17- Doc Brown's Interactive: Naming Alkenes
18- Doc Brown's notes on reaction mechanisms
19- Videos and Tutorials to watch
20- Supersize My Cancer- Case Study
21- CD Roms interactive (old technology, but good activity)
Other Really Good Websites (tutorials & practice problems) for ALL organic units:
END UNIT #3
This unit will be tested on the 2nd day we return to school in Spring 2020:
UNIT #4- CH 14: ALCOHOLS, THIOLS, ETHERS.
* Here are 2 websites we'll be using for the first 2 days of the unit.
The below assignments are not necessarily in order of how we did them in class:
*FYI: Assignments 1 and 2 have been deleted (not on this test)
3-Alcohol Nomenclature #1 WS
4-Alcohol Nomenclature #2
5- Alcohol Ques through Dehydration Rxns - 2020
5-Dehydration (Elimination) Rxns WS #1
6-Oxidation of Alcohols WS #2
7-Alcohol Reactions WS #3
8-Reactions of Alcohols with hydrogen halides-
10-Alcohol assignments online
11-Polymer Lab- Pt 1
Polymer Lab- (Pt 2- last page)
12-Types of Reactions- Given in class Friday, 3/13 (know through alcohols for this test)
13-Alcohols, Ethers, Thiols WS- Given Friday 3/13 and was due by the end of class that same day.
15- Review Sheet #1: Unit 4 Test- 2019- Given in class 3/13. Must complete at home
16- Review Sheet #2- 2019 - Given in class 3/13. Must complete at home
UNIT 5- 2020 - this unit will be modified on an ongoing basis, due to COVID-19 (and school being closed indefinitely):
ASSIGNMENTS 2020: (beginning week 2 of Cobb Schools closing)
UNIT 5: Ch 15: Chirality 2020 (Virtual edition PPT)
1- Chap 15- Assignment #1 - due Sunday 3/29 at 10 PM to Unit 5 folder (open Distance Learning plan above for instructions). UPDATE 3/29: there's now another option for completing this assignment, if you find it easier than uploading to Google Drive Unit 5 subfolder. Log on to Google Classroom for details (code for joining GC was sent via Remind last week)
2- Thalidomide Info and Questions - *due Monday, 3/30 @ 10 PM. You have 2 options:
4- Case Study- Adventures in Stereochemistry. MUST DO THIS ASSIGNMENT THROUGH GOOGLE CLASSROOM, OR NO CREDIT! Due Wednesday 11:59 PM.
5- Chirality Intro WS- Part 2: 2020. Open it in Google Classroom (GC) and submit there. Due Mon night, 4/13
6- Stereocenters WS- 2020. Open in GC and submit there. Due Tues night, 4/14
7- Ch 15 WS: When LPG is coming forward. 2020. Open assignment in GC and submit there. Due Wed night, 4/15.
9- Fischer Projections: Due Mon 4/20 - go to GC
10- Chirality- Optical Activity and more FP. Due Tues 4/21- go to GC.
Info regarding Ch 15 (below this line) is from 2019. Stay above the line!
UNIT 5- 2019: Chirality (Ch 15) and parts of Ch 16-19 (See PPt at top of page):
1.Intro to R, S Enantiomers
2. Lab #2 -Stereoisomer Lab Virtual Interactive. There is an answer sheet for you to use, but I only have a hard copy (lost electronic one when my external hard drive crashed ☹)
3. R, S Enantiomer WS
4. Stereocenters/ Chirality WS #4
5. Do this online quiz (do 1-10...maybe more...depending on how far we go with this unit)
6. Fischer Projections- Watch this first. Then, watch this.
7. Amines Review WS- 2019. Here's the one from 2017: Amines WS
8. Aldehydes and Ketones Review WS- 2019. Here's the one from 2017: Aldehydes and Ketones WS
9. Carboxylic Acids WS-2017
10. Esters, Anhydride Questions- 2017
10. Ch 15 Review Sheet
11. Ch 16-19 Review Sheet
12. Go to the Cengage site for your book's resources (right hand column). Go to Ch 15 and take the online tutorial quiz.
13. Get the CD Rom (you can check one out from me if you couldn't get this completed in class). Do all interactive exercises on Amines, Aldehydes, Ketones, Carboxylic Acids
14. Synthesis of Aspirin Lab
15. Esters Lab
16. Polymer Lab?
17. Saponification Lab? (if time)
Recommended Videos (below): *note: if no access to youtube.com at school, try chemsurvival.com
UNIT 6- Metabolism, Carbs, Lipids, Proteins, Nucleic Acids
**THIS UNIT WILL LIKELY BE REVISED IN 2019, AS WE'RE 'RUNNING BEHIND' ☹. I'M LIKELY INTEGRATING THESE TOPICS WITH THE FORENSICS UNIT (Unit 7, below)
ATP: Thermodynamic vs Kinetic Stability. Go to the Wiley "Interactives in Biochemistry" website. Do all quizzes at the end of each section (3).
Carbs WS #1
Carbs WS #2
Protein WS #1
Protein Interactive Sites
DNA WORKSHEETS- replication, transcription, translation (no electronic copy)
DNA Worksheet and Tutorials
Review Questions for Test
Videos to review DNA processes: Bozeman site
Unit 7- Forensics
TOPICS & ASSIGNMENTS:
2. Chapters 1-3 Bookwork:
3. Fingerprinting: Ch 4
4. Hair and Fiber: Ch 5 and 6
5. Drugs and Poisons: This lab incorporates some of the OChem you just learned in class
6. Blood Assignments (Ch 10):
7. DNA and Biotechnology:
PPts for DNA and Biotechnology are posted above in PPt section of this blog
9. FORENSICS EXAM:
CSI at Wheeler High-2019:
Information will be given upon finding the 'body'. Each group will then follow proper procedure protocol to collect evidence. Groups will then apply deductive reasoning and lab skills, in the following areas, to solve the crime of "Who Dun It?":
CSI@Wheeler High: TBD. The date each lab group will make a final presentation of evidence and conclusions to solve the crime and determine..."Who Dun It?"
Websites, Resources & Videos:
Lab Equipment and Lab Safety:
1-Standard Lab Equipment
2- Lab Safety Video- top 10 rules
3- Safety Symbols
MathBench for Biology Modules:
Recommended Lectures & Videos for both 'Basic Chem' (such as drawing Lewis structures) and 'Organic Chem':
1- Tyler DeWitt - some of his videos are a little long, but they are very thorough & well worth the time if you're 'stuck' on a topic and trying to better understand it
2-Bozeman AP Chemistry and Bozeman Chemistry
3- The Organic Chemistry Tutor:
5- Great chemistry tutorials on almost every topic...especially Formal Charges
6-leah4sci.com - she's very, very impressive. Boy, I wish I'd had this resource in college!
9- I recently just watched this guy for the first time. I really thought he was good.
Books and online resources for Organic & Biochemistry:
1-Here's a link to access resources for your book. www.cengagebrain.com is the main website. The book ISBN # is 0-495-39112-3
2- **Ask me if I have any codes left from last semester for you to access the AP Biology book (helpful with macromolecules, metabolism, nucleic acids, etc)
3- Biology Labs Online- http://www.occc.edu/biologylabs/
Projects Information & Final Exam Review:
3/15/20: Due to Cobb schools closing on the week of 3/16/20, dates and other logistics will be revised for Spring Semester 2020. Open the links at the top of this page (scroll up). Stay tuned for more updates coming later in the week. Take care, kiddos!
HerbFest Project- 2020:
*Worth 2 Test Grades
FINAL EXAM REVIEW
* this may require a couple of modifications in 2019, since Unit 6 information was incorporated into Unit 7 this year, but should be minimal (if at all)
INFO BELOW THIS LINE IS FROM PREVIOUS YEARS. STAY ABOVE THE LINE!
Project #2: CSI- 2019:
4/24/17: Use this sheet to help you with your Hair Lab. Please clean up well! Thank you so much
Herbfest Proposals due Monday, 2/27/17
3/11/17: After speaking with each of you individually about your proposals on Friday, some of you expressed interest in pursuing a new idea for your product. Read this...hoping it will help! Also, the Rubric is posted below under 'Other Information'.
1/10/17: Please read this regarding Homework (HW) assignments:
I do NOT check every HW assignment, but you must have ALL assignments with you on the due dates, as well as ALL OTHER assignments for the unit that have not been checked. I randomly pick 1-3 assignments to check on UNANNOUNCED days. NO EXCUSES ACCEPTED! As stated in the syllabus, I do not accept late HW, unless it is an excused absence.